TheBoanthropic & The Society
TheBoanthropic and The Society is a single on-going immersive experience centered around The Society, a cult that values oneness and ecstasy with a dark past and mysterious agenda, TheBoanthropic, a collection of spirits attempting to intercede, and Resistance that is trying to work against The Society from the inside. But the truth is grey and who is right and who is wrong is nebulous.
- TheBoanthropic and The Society
- Los Angeles area
- Alternate Reality Experience interspersed with immersive events
- Small group and individual shows
- Focused on cults and their impact
- Encourages large group interaction to solve puzzles
- Experiences frequently send participants on hikes
The Story of TheBoanthropic and The Society
The Society, a hedonistic cult that lives in a compound somewhere in the Los Angeles hills, began making trips down into the city to make contact with potential new inductees. Led by a mysterious man known only as the Founder, this leader is rumored to possess incredible powers, including teleportation, inter-dimensional travel, and some form of immortality. He is reclusive, rarely seen by even his own followers. In his place is Tad Shafer, the public face of The Society who was hired by the group to be its intermediary with the outside world, facilitating their visits and serving as their mouthpiece in person and online. Though the Society espouses love and spiritual oneness, there is a darker side to their activities lurking just beneath the surface.
One of the members of the Society, a young woman named Mary, is pregnant. It is rumored that the Founder was the one to impregnate her–without her consent. It has been further suggested that the Founder plans to use the baby to enact a ritual related to the story of the Moonchild, a myth of dark magic and the antichrist. To prevent this, a Resistance cell has formed within the Society led by Mary and another Society member, Eric Andrew Hoff, who is also known by his Resistance code name: The Black Rose. With their rallying cry, “Save the Moonchild,” Eric is recruiting would-be resistance members to infiltrate the Society to rise in their ranks and save Mary. However, another force is at play that also wishes to stymie the Founder’s plot: TheBoanthropic.
TheBoanthropic are entities of pure energy manifested from the intense trauma experienced by people who endure severe, dehumanizing emotional abuse and manipulation that strips them of their memory, will, and identity. This intense emotional pressure then pushes the last remnants of the victims’ spirits out of their physical bodies, leaving them behind, alive but boanthropized; the spirits then join a larger collective spiritual body known as the Boanthropic. They are ethereal beings that have come to earth to intercede and guide a group of willing humans (who they refer to as Pilgrims) towards the goal of preventing more pain and suffering at the hands of people like the Founder. The Resistance, or “the Bobo” (separate from the spirits) led by Mary and Eric believe in the power of the spirits but have never actually made contact with them in the way the Pilgrims have. Generally these spirits cannot be seen, but lately Pilgrims have witnessed them entering the physical realm by influencing physical objects, sending messages via electricity, and apparating into strange beasts.
The cause of TheBoanthropic is further supported by a small, eclectic group of allies who have aided the Pilgrims along their path. This group includes Beverly, the primary conduit of TheBoanthropic during their visits to Earth as the only person known who can actually hear their voices directly. Bev is assisted by Krysta, her newly eighteen year old next door neighbor, who has guided her much older friend in the ways of social media in order to amplify the message of TheBoanthropic. The Boanthropic Resistance (Bobo) are primarily led by the memory of a man known only as The Wayfarer, a researcher and computer genius who until the early 1980’s devoted his life to understanding TheBoanthropic and uncovering the dangers of The Society and its Founder. He mysteriously disappeared long ago, but recent events suggest he may still be alive and monitoring recent activity. Recently, it was revealed that the Instagram personality Eubanks P. Coaltrain, known for posting creative edits and overlays of old home movies, has been hired by the Resistance and fed old footage somehow related to a traumatic event that happened within the Society in 1995.
As Mary’s due date fast approaches, the Pilgrims must to continue to aid Black Rose and the Resistance by rising through the ranks of the Society as all sides wait for TheBoanthropic spirits’ return to earth.
- The Society: The Society is the chosen name of a community of likeminded spiritualists who live together on The Mountain, an as of yet undisclosed location high up in the hills outside of Los Angeles. The Society first began decades ago under the guidance of a mysterious leader known as The Founder. They believe in helping people reach a state of Oneness and “orgiastic bliss;” maintaining a conscious awareness of your body from moment to moment, celebrating indulgence and sensation. Most Society members live up on The Mountain full time, rarely if ever venturing down or interacting with people outside of their community. Only very recently have they ventured down in an official capacity with some regularity. Society members can be identified by their all-white clothing, a white string that they tie to their wrists, and a symbol written on their hand that they must continuously reapply. They have recently created a website, an Instagram account and a Facebook page to better engage with interested parties.
- TheBoanthropic: The Boanthropic are a mysterious entity, a spirit-like manifestation of trauma that phases in and out of our plane of existence. A new Boanthropic is formed as the last remnant of a person’s spirit is pushed from their body during extreme emotional trauma, leaving their corporeal bodies behind, a living shell boanthropized. Somehow they have asserted themselves into the physical world to guide the resistance movement within the Society, bringing more members into the fold to achieve their goal of rescuing Mary from the Founder and preventing his plans for the Moonchild. They communicate primarily through Beverly using the Instagram account theboanthropic. Krysta has also started a blog to keep track of her and Beverly’s experiences with TheBoanthropic.
- The Bobo: The tongue in cheek nickname of TheBoanthropic Resistance. They are avowed acolytes of the Wayfarer, following his teachings and protecting the knowledge that he left behind while adopting his penchant for 1980’s technology and aesthetics. It is widely believed that the Bobo is the same resistance movement that Eric “the Black Rose” and Mary are involved in. It is unclear how the Bobo have been able to work in tandem with and receive help from the spirits of TheBoanthropic, as they have admitted repeatedly that, like the Black Rose, none of them have ever actually heard or seen signs of TheBoanthropic in the way Bev or the Pilgrims have. They communicate with the Pilgrims primarily through their Instagram account. Their ally, Eubanks, posts edited clips of mysterious Society footage on his Instagram account @eubankskindrewind
Tad ShaferPrudent Necessary of the Society
Eric Andrew Hoff, also known as ``The Black Rose``High ranking Society member and secret Resistance contact
MaryCaptive Society member, Resistance contact, and mother-to-be of the Moonchild
The FounderEnigmatic, unseen leader of the Society
BeverlyConduit of the Boanthropic
Krysta DoeBeverly's next door neighbor and a Boanthropic ally
The WayfarerMissing Society researcher and Boanthropic ally
Eubanks P. CoaltrainInstagram personality and creative editor hired by the Resistance
UPCOMING EVENTS FOR THE BOANTHROPIC